If you smell gas…
- No flames or sparks! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
- Leave the area immediately! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
- Shut off the gas. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise) as far as it will turn.
- Report the leak. From a neighbor's home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call your propane supplier immediately. If you can't reach your propane supplier, call 911 or your local fire department.
- Do not return to the building or area until a Shute Oil & Propane service technician determines that it is safe to do so.
- Get your system checked. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, make certain that one of our qualified service technicians checks your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
The Commercial Safety Data Sheet is available on our Commercial page.